Sunday, August 21, 2005

All That Jazz!

This past Friday evening, I went to the French Quarter with some of my new friends from the apartments. On this little excursion, we ate at a relatively inexpensive restaurant where I had one of the best muffelottas I have ever had. By the end of the meal I was pretty exhausted from what was a fairly long day (I awoke early to bake some muffins, went to class all day, and then went out with the gang).

The second part of our trip took us to Preservation Hall. I have been living in New Orleans for two years and have visited on quite a few occasions, but I had never heard of this place. Well, the 45 minutes or so of music was well worth the price of admission ($5). The jazz band did a great job of performing classic jazz music, complete with solos and some singing. Their quality performance helped overcome the somewhat dilapidated building, which was extremely hot this particular humid, south Louisiana night.

Of particular interest to me was the drummer. He did an extremely good job of keeping the rhythm steady and excelled at his solos (which were often drum-less drum solos, using only the hardware of his set). He also used some interesting methods to produce funky sounding beats.

Preservation Hall certainly has all that jazz.

1 Comments:

At August 24, 2005 8:44 PM, Blogger Jon said...

I believe the name of the place was Maspero's.

-jon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home