Saturday, October 01, 2005

Hi Sugar!

On my way home from New Iberia this afternoon, I smelled the sweet aroma of sugar cane burning along the highway. The sweet smell brought to mind nostalgic memories of my childhood and I knew fall is here. Fall is when the farmers harvest their cane, UL football games are played under the bright lights of the swamp, and we get a little relief from the heat. Indeed, the afternoon does seem a little more pleasant than just a few weeks ago. And the hours of sunlight are becoming shorter. Fall is here and I think I like it. Hi Fall! Hi Sugar!

1 Comments:

At October 01, 2005 5:08 PM, Blogger beth hintze said...

yeah, there's an aroma that I associate with sugarcane...but it CERTAINLY isn't sweet!! I started working at HBCS during cane season last year and I thought for certain that the school was downwind of a cattle farm or something b/c the smell of what I thought was manure seemed to hang in the air. I finally asked and someone told me it was from the cane. Not sure exactly what's goin' on with that but i am NOT looking forward to THAT aroma! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home